praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.
Holesovice - Prague 7 Category: Church towers

Church of St. Climent in Bubny

GPS: 50°5'49.92"N, 14°25'54.84"E

The oldest persevered religious architecture of Prague 7 is the original Romanesque church of St. Climent situated on Kostelní Street. The first historical mention of the church dates from 1234 and its reconstruction to the Gothic style was done sometime during the 13th century.

The church burned down in 1603 and later was rebuilt in an early-baroque style (1659-1677) by Maxmilián Valentin, earl of Martinice. Some of the original Gothic features however were preserved such as the presbytery and the vestry. The gothic pointed arched windows and the portal are situated on the axial of the presbytery. The church was extended before 1898, when the new church of St. Anthony had been constructed at the nearby Strossmayerovo Square. The tower on the ridge of the roof comes from this time period. It has a square ground plan, from which raises the square lantern with eight columns. The roof of the tower is pyramidal with the spire and the finial on the top.

The church of St. Climent used to be a parish church for the worshipers of the Bubny settlement and later also for citizens of Holešovice. During the Nazi occupation of Prague the church served the German community. The church is surrounded by a little romantic cemetery, which has not been used since 1886. The most famous tombstone, in respect to design, is the one, beside which lies a member of 18th regiment of field huntsmen, private Václav Hora. Václav Hora became a victim of the Prussian-Austrian war and died in Prague on 19the October 1866.

The Roman-Catholic pastorate centre had been constructed on the place of a former cemetery beside the wall to Kostelní Street at the very end of the 20th century. The construction started after the archaeological research.