praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.
Old town - Prague 1 Category: Church towers

Church of St. Salvator

GPS: 50°5'20.04"N, 14°25'14.16"E

The construction of the St. Salvator Church was enabled through a Religious Dictate released by Emperor Rudolf II. on 9th July, 1609. Through this act the Emperor legalized the freedom of religion in the Czech lands. The foundation stone was laid in 1611 and the church was completed three years later. The builders were German Protestants of the Augspur religion.

The church owners and church goers changed many times due to the consequences of political events. The activities of the church, and its associated monastery (the monastery of the Paluan monkhood), was discontinued by the revisions of Joseph II. A mint was established here instead. After the discontinuation the church was sold to Czech evangelists in 1863 and the monastery buildings were sold to the Prague Municipality in 1897. The three-aisle Old Town church of St. Salvator, located between the streets of Salvátorská, Dušní and Kostečná, was reconstructed for congregational purposes, consecrated and continues to the present day. The parish congregation of the Czech Brothers Evangelist Church has its site here.

A baroque steeple of 52,5 m stands by the south-west corner of the church. Its highest floor with large semicircular windows is graced by pilasters and castellated cornices. The roof is crowned by an octahedral bulbous cupola, covered lantern and finial.

In order to reach the top of this steeple-tower we must carry on from the church entrance hall on the left, and on up the stairs of the incomplete north-west steeple. The layout of the steeple is apparent on the façade. Walking up the following stairs and across a foot-bridge on the west side of the attic we will reach the completed tall steeple. Then we have to climb yet another three steep and long flights of wooden stairs up to the belfry which unfortunately only houses empty bell saddles. From this point on there is only a tall wooden pole with imbedded iron rungs for stairs.