praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.
Podoli - Prague 4 Category: Water towers

Podolská Water-station

GPS: 50°3'23.04"N, 14°25'10.92"E

The developing Capital City of Prague was in need of a bigger supply of drinking water. A desperate need of this life-giving fluid arose especially after the new law regarding the creation of so called Great Prague. The Town Council of Prague therefore decided to build a new high-density filtration water-station. The Vltava river bank was the area chosen for the construction. Architect Antonín Engel (1879-1958) was entrusted with this project. His participation enhanced the building to a European level not only in regard to the technical side of the construction but also in regard to the art work. Two specialists were asked to participate in the construction calculation, František Klokner and Bedřich Hacara. The construction was carried out in 1925-1929 by the company Kress a.s. Praha. The desired plan was however only half fulfilled.

The city was still thirsty. So at the beginning of the 1950’s the original water-station plan was completed. The second filtration station was built as originally planned. Roughly after 30 years the two buildings designed by the same architect were joined into one organic unit. The new building was equipped with modern technology and connected to the older one through a tubular bridge.

This recently modernized colossus, which cleans water from the Vltava River, is Prague’s functional reserve in case anything happens with the drinking water supply from the Kárané and Želivka water stations. Curently the water supply from this staion is actually being mixed with water from the previously mentioned sources.

The mighty tower of this complex rises above its southern part and is 45m in height. The floor plan of this tower is rectangular.